Sunday, August 31, 2008

stuff

I have too much stuff. I gave 12 bags of clothes to the Salvation Army but my dresser, 2 walk-in closets and 2 smaller closets are full. I think my clothes are procreating. I'm putting them on birth control.

I gave a bunch of books to charity, too. But my bookshelves are cracking.

I work at my dining room table. It is overflowing with mail, job search stuff, about 8 yellow pads, 2 handbags, some more books and some things that actually belong on a dining room table, like placemats and napkins. But you can't see those. Trust me, they're under all the crap.

I met this girl on a hike yesterday who told me she doesn't have a lot of stuff. She just doesn't buy things until her current things are worn out. She's had her coffee maker for 18 years.

She is my new hero. I want to own, like, 1 pair of jeans and 2 t-shirts and not have cable tv. But I like clothes. And books. And most series on Bravo. And other stuff. I was raised a consumer. I'm a good one. My mom taught me how to get expensive stuff on the cheap. I'm a consumer nonetheless.

I have 14 pairs of jeans. Like all else, I blame this on my mom.

No comments: